Sunday, March 1, 2009

NCLB/State Testing/Teaching to the Test

When NCLB first come on the scene, I was a first year teacher, so I had already met all the "highly qualified" standards that NCLB implied. This was really my first experience with it. I remember all this pressure for veteran teachers to adhere to the new standards, but as far as I know, most veteran teachers didn't take it too seriously. As I earned more and more experience, the implications of NCLB became clearer, especially when I got a greater understanding of what it said about standardized testing and the teachers' roles in preparing for that standardized testing.

State testing, as well as SAT testing, accounts for much more of my curriculum that I would like. I would love to give assessments the way I think they should be given, not modeled after a particular type of test. In order for me to adequately prepare my students for these tests, I cannot just start teaching these "test-taking" skills a month prior. I need to model my assessments and writings after what the College Board and the HSPAs are doing so that the students feel comfortable with these types of assessments all year long, not just a month prior.

When I create an assessment, I usually have either a SAT test prep book near me (I say "book" lightly; the thing is as thick as the King James Bible, so "tome" may be more appropriate) so I can model not only my questions, but my directions after the test questions and directions. When I grade my assessments, sometimes (not always), I use the SAT or HSPA writing rubric to grade my students, again, so they are prepared for the types of grades they will receive. When this is done, ideally the students will some sense of comfort when they go in and take these tests that they've seen all this stuff before. When it comes closer to test time, that's when I get into more deliberate and intentional "teaching to the test".

As much as I hate to say, it is acceptable to "teach to the test" in many circumstances. Just the term "high-stakes testing" makes it so. I've heard that term about five times from administrators this season, in regards to the state tests. It's pretty much taken for granted that English and math teachers are doing deliberate HSPA test prep in thier classrooms. It's pretty much mandated that we're using the HSPA practice workbook and all the wonderful exercises that are in it. However, the bottom line is that the kids need to pass this test, if not to improve some skill, than to at least graduate high school. I have two classes of lower level students who this type of "teaching to the test" is expected. It is necessary as well. Teaching to the test is acceptable in this situation because these kids need to feel comfortable and confident in their abilites to take these tests. I start off the year addresses all of these skills in direct instruction and repeated practice. Then we apply these skills to novels and short stories read in class. Then in February, we go back to this direct instruction and what they've done in the fall helps them in this crucial stage: right before the test. The students should now be at the point where they are comfortable and confident in thier abilities, especially considering the test is two days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment