Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Schools Cut Back Subjects to Push Reading and Math

Is this where we're heading? This was written over two years ago, so I really hope there's been some push in the new administration for a broader curriculum and definite overhaul of NCLB. I completely agree with Paris Smith, the eighth grader who says he can't take two hours of math. I couldn't take forty minutes of it when I was in school, and if I had to take two hours a day, I'd go nuts. How can this be good? Won't the students get to a point where they've soaked up all the relevant knowledge and anything after that will just spill out onto the floor? How far can you push a kid in reading and math before their brain just shuts down and won't accept any more information?

The state of our nation's education is forever dictated to us by people who lack the fundamental understanding of what is means to help kids succeed. The final comment of the article only confirms the dire situation we are in. When a teacher says that the only motivation for her students to do well is get out of this "special" class and into a mainstream one, we have all failed as educators. There is no spark, no zest, no desire for education...just a understanding that if I fail the test, I'm in the low class.

No comments:

Post a Comment